background

Friday, May 7, 2010

40 Week OB Appointment

We had our 40 week appointment on Wednesday. It was a very long one! The first thing I did was get hooked up to the non-stress test (NST) machine. I lay down and 2 monitors were attached to my stomach with Velcro straps. One was to measure Landon’s heartbeat and the other was to see if I was having any contractions. I also had a button to push each time I felt him move. Of course for the first 10 minutes or so he didn’t move at all! We just had a party at work where I drank a small amount of coke and had a cookie! After all that I couldn’t believe he wasn’t moving. The nurse came and brought me some orange juice and then we got movement. That test took about a half hour. Everything looked great though, other then I wasn’t having any contractions. The next step was the ultrasound to check on the fluid level and make sure my placenta was still working. Thankfully, everything looked great!

The Doctor came in to chat with us and do my internal. She said all the tests looked good and I told her about my cramping and back, hip, and butt pain. She said they were all good signs. She measured my stomach and said he just can’t grow up anymore, so now he’s growing down! I could tell I had a ton more pressure the last few days. I’m measuring at about 38 weeks. She then did the internal. I was 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. We then talked about what was going to happen if I didn’t go into labor and when my next appointment would be. She wanted to see me next Monday and that will be the time when we’ll schedule the induction. She would like me to deliver him before the next Monday, which would be May 17th because I would be 42 weeks that day. I thought that was a great plan of action. I was also very happy with my progress.

On our way out we went to schedule our next appointment. I asked for Dr. Hawkins on Monday. The receptionist was new so she needed some help getting my ultrasound and everything scheduled in order. Another lady came over to help her and said Dr. Hawkins didn’t have anything that day because the only ultrasound appointment they had was at 8:00 am. I asked if I could just split it up and see her later in the day for my appointment, but they said the Doctors don’t like to do that. I was pretty upset. I had seen the same Doctor for the last 5 appointments. I knew her and she knew me and I wasn’t comfortable seeing anyone else. They just wouldn’t work with me so I left feeling very sad. Ryan was upset too because he knew how much I wanted to see the same Doctor.

I got back to work and decided to call and try to talk to Dr. Hawkins. The receptionist said she just left, but asked if I was Andrea. Yes I am! Haha She heard the conversation we were having with the other reception and didn’t understand why they wouldn’t just squeeze me in at the end of the day for my ultrasound. She said that wasn’t a problem at all and scheduled me with my favorite Doctor! :) I thanked her a million times!

No comments:

Post a Comment