Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Logan's Birth Story
Better late then never!!! :D
Thursday June, 7th I had a Doctor’s appointment and we decided I should be checked since I was over do. I wasn’t in too much of a rush to have the baby, but we didn’t want to wait too long or we would be into Ryan’s next round of chemo. She checked me and I was 3 cm and about 50% effaced. I told her that she could strip my membranes, but not too rough. She made a couple passes and it was pretty painful. I told her to stop and figured she could try again next week if it didn’t work. I wasn’t completely sure I wanted it to work yet! Ryan still wasn’t feeling too great from the previous round of chemo so we were hoping it would take a few days to work. We went home that night and had dinner and went outside while Landon drove his tractor. We chatted with our neighbors and during this time I was having some back labor, but it didn’t seem too consistent. We came in and Landon got his bath and I was ready to put him to bed. We read a book in the chair and when we were done I went to bend over and pick him up. That’s when I felt very wet and thought maybe I had wet my pants! But it just kept gushing out and I realized my water broke! Oh my, I was so surprised. I believe I said, “Oh my” and Ryan asked what was wrong. I told him my water broke and I needed a towel, but I wanted to put Landon to bed as normal. I sat on some towels as my water kept coming out and rocked him to sleep. I did it a little faster than usual because my contractions were starting to come and I was worried I wouldn’t make it to the hospital in time.
After he was in bed, I packed everything, changed my clothes and we headed out. My contractions were starting to get very painful. Just as I figured, I was having back labor again. In the car it was getting VERY painful and I had to stop talking and breathe through them. We called my parents and they were going to meet us at the hospital. Ryan’s Mom stayed at our house with Landon. We arrived at the hospital and went straight to labor and delivery. Our favorite Doctor was on call that night so I was so excited!!! She had already alerted them that I was coming. I went to triage and when they checked me I was 5 cm already! Yikes, I was so scared I wouldn’t be able to get my epidural. The contractions were so painful and I just wanted them to stop. They were very fast and I got my IV in and was moved into the delivery room. My epidural also came fast. After it was placed I expected it to feel just like it did with Landon. I thought it would take care of all my pain immediately and I would feel great. That wasn’t the case! It helped with my contractions (although I could still feel them) so I thought everything was good, but then they went to check me and I could feel EVERYTHING! I was 7 cm and I freaked out. I was so scared that I would feel everything and I was shaking from the pain and crying and I was a mess. They got the anesthesiologist back in and she gave me more medicine, but everything was happening so fast that she wasn’t sure if it would take. The medicine did take effect, but still not fully so they decided to check me and if I wasn’t ready yet, she would fix the epidural. They checked me and I was over 9 cm! No fixing the epidural! Everyone left and said we should get some rest before the baby comes. Poor Ryan was exhausted and didn’t feel great, so rest was much needed. My Mom also came during my freak out to give Ryan a little break. As we are laying there resting, I started to feel a ton of pressure. I told Ryan I thought we should call the nurse because I felt pressure. Then I decided it was probably nothing and we needed to rest so why interrupt. A few seconds later I realized I needed to call now! I talked to the nurse on my call button and told her the baby was coming now! The Doctor came in and before she had both gloves on I could feel that Logan’s head was out! I didn’t even have to push! She asked me to give a little push for his shoulders, but I didn’t do much and they were out. It was the most amazing thing. I got to the hospital about 9 and had Logan around 11:45 pm. It was so crazy and fast. They had given me so much medicine in my epidural that my chest and arms were numb. I also got pretty nauseous after I had him. The birth was just so amazing and I only needed one small stitch! It took them a while to wheel me over to my post partum room. By this time it was 3 am and Ryan was so exhausted and didn’t feel too good. I told him he needed to go home and get some sleep. I felt so bad for him because I know how hard it was for him to leave. I insisted that I would be okay, but he wanted my Mom to stay with me. Finally around 4 am I was able to feel my legs a little and could walk, so they moved me to my room.
I can’t even describe how different this hospital stay and the whole birth was this time around. After I had Landon, I could hardly move or sit in bed. I was in so much pain. This time I felt great after I got all the feeling back in my body. I could barely even tell I had a baby! I was able to walk around and change Logan’s diaper! It was so great. My Mom stayed with me both nights in the hospital and Ryan brought Landon up to visit me a few times. I just wanted to get out of the hospital this time!!! I remember after I had Landon I didn’t want to go home. I was in so much pain and I was nervous not to have that nurse call button if I need a break in the middle of the night. This time I just wanted to go home!!!
The morning I got released, Ryan and Landon came up to take to me home. Landon rode in the wheel chair and it was just perfect to be leaving the hospital with all my sweet boys
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am off work today and taking a break from homework so I decided to check your blog! It was great reading Logan's birth story. :) Hope you're all doing well and have a great Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete