
My little baby is 6 months old today. How is this possible? I can’t believe it’s been 6 months since I met the little man. He has grown and changed so much! He weighs about 14 lbs 10 ounces now. He has his 6 month appointment in a few weeks so then we’ll know how long he is. He can roll both ways and can sit up on his own for a long period of time. The days of him just lying on the floor enjoying a toy are over. He is ready for big boy toys now! Yesterday I got out a bucket of large legos for him to play with and he loved them! He dumped the bucket over and loved to dig around to find the exact piece he wanted to play with and chew on of course since EVERYTHING goes in his mouth!
Yesterday we started him on rice cereal. Since he is breastfed we saw no reason to start him on solids until he was 6 months old and even then we could take thing slow. The first bite he seems really excited about, but it went down hill from there to the point where he wouldn’t even open his mouth and just turned his head away. It may take him a little practice or he might not be ready yet. Just because he turns 6 months old doesn’t mean he HAS to enjoy solids yet. He also may not be a fan of rice cereal. I have read that breastfed babies may not like the bland taste of it since they are used to the many different flavors in breast milk. Who knows? I did buy some jars of baby food yesterday and Ryan thought I was a little crazy since it had only been the first day of starting solids! Haha
Landon seems to be getting a little better with his stranger anxiety. At least at our house he seems to be better. If he was at a strange place he might not do as well. While I realize this is a good thing, part of me is a little sad. I know everyone else hated that they couldn’t hold him without him crying, but it made me feel so good to know he felt comfortable with me. Since he really can’t show me love yet (hugging, kissing and stuff like that), this was my way of feeling like he really loved me. I know he still does and he may still prefer me over strangers, but it’s hard. He goes through so many stages, so his separation anxiety may not be over yet. Or it might never come back. You just never know with babies!
I’m not sure if it’s daylight savings time or what, but he has wanted to go to bed very early at night. By about 6:15 it is tough to keep him up. There is no way he would make it until his 8:00 bedtime. The last week he has been asleep in his crib by 7:00 or a little after. I’m wondering if he has needed an earlier bedtime for a while and that was the cause of him waking up a few times at night. It’s been a week since he has woken up at 9:30 or 10:00 wanting to eat. He still gets up once in the night, but I can deal with that. It was when he’d be up at 10:00pm and then another time in the night that caused me to not get much sleep. Maybe he was going through a growth spurt.
His napping has improved a little. He used to take 4 naps a day usually, but he seems to have dropped the last nap now. On a typical day he gets up around 8, then takes a nap around 9 then another one around noon, and then one at 2ish. Trying to get him down for another one just doesn’t really work too great. This could also be the cause of his earlier bedtime. It just depends on the day though. Some days he takes hour naps and other days they are 30 minutes.
As for me, things are going pretty good. Work is going okay. I have my good days and bad days. I’m used to the schedule now, so it doesn’t really seem weird to go to work anymore. I always miss Landon, but I have days where I don’t think about it too much. Pumping is going great! We still have a pretty good freezer stash and I have figured out a great pumping schedule during the day to maximize the amount I make. I am thankful to have a job where I can pump as much as I need to. I always pump 3 times a day at work and sometimes 4. It depends on if I pump at home before I leave. I usually do, but on the days when Landon wants to eat right before I leave or if I sleep in I don’t. I’m really happy and proud of myself for breastfeeding this long! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment